Wednesday, March 9, 2011

67 Days Until My Walk & A Birthday Wish

I first wrote about my decision to participate in the May 15th NYC Arthritis Walk in this January post. As of today, I have 67 days left until the walk! So far I've surpassed my initial goal of $500.00 by $85.00! As always, I've felt incredible support from my friends, family, and readers. The other day, for instance, I posted a quick Facebook message about the walk and, within 10 hours, I had about 10 more donations! People joined together to quickly and successfully help me reach my goal! What more could a girl ask for?


As the word spreads, it seems more and more people are also offering to walk with me! The thought of this company has eased my anxieties about this undertaking. Although my health is infinitely better than it was last fall (thanks to Orencia), each morning I still wake up feeling stiff and aware of my disease. When I head down the stairwell in my apartment building, I feel my knees ache. As I sit through class, I can eventually feel the familiar burn in my hips and my back as the hours tick by. But I feel more than that...


I feel motivated. 

More than ever, I am grateful for each deep breath and each step I can take (especially ones that are pain-free). I've seen the alternative and cannot allow myself to forget it. When I start to feel nervous about my walk and worried that pain may stop me from finishing, I look to my blog and the incredible people I've met through it. I know I'll be thinking of all of them on May 15th; I know I'll have the people I love by my side, stopping with me if need be and cheering me on as we go. I am blessed to have the ability and resources to receive Orencia infusions every months because they have truly changed my life. With the money raised by the Arthritis Foundation, The Spondylitis Association of America, and other similar organizations, we are coming closer to an ultimate cure. It is my most sincere wish that everyone who needs medical treatment may receive it in the future and I will walk with this hope in my mind.


On a particularly sore day, my friend Debra happened to send me this e-mail about an unbelievable story. It was just the motivation I needed to keep up with my walking:


Hi again!  


I hope I'm not annoying with all my hellos and links!
I'm just so excited to have someone to share things with
(finally!!!!). How are you feeling?  It's rainy today, so I 
hope you're alright. I found this article on a 49-year-old 
man who has suffered from asthma since he was a boy:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/02/07/the-marathon-man-365-marathons-in-365-days-for-asthma-sufferer/#ixzz1DLAOQhwu
 

...this dude just finished running 365 marathons in 365 days.
 WHAT?! If he can do that, you can certainly do your walk 
and I can do my bike tour.  It made me so very happy.


Love you,
Deb 
I also found this short video clip about this same guy: Click here to see the video.


I'm already satisfied by what I've raised, but if you wish to donate, please visit my personal donation page. Remember that no donation is too small and even one dollar goes a long way in showing your support. Thank you all so much for your generosity and encouragement. I have a feeling these next 67 days are going to fly by, and I'll be thinking of you all as I prepare!


On another note, I want to wish Kate Brabon (my beautiful Australian "sister") the most wonderful birthday yet! My life has been unspeakably brighter since you came into it and your friendship is a treasure to me. You deserve nothing but the best today and always and I look forward to celebrating many more birthdays together in the future (hopefully in person). I adore you! 
Love, Maya

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this sweet message in your post! The photos make me wish I could be back for another visit, right now :)

    Also, cheering you on, now 65 days to go! It's a wonderful thing you're doing and I'm so happy you'll be doing it with so many loved ones xxx

    ReplyDelete