Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Yes, I'm Still Alive (And Loving My Internship)


To my wonderful readers,

Yes, I'm still alive! I apologize for my absence, but my final year of graduate school has really taken off and free time is a thing of the past. Not only am I taking intense classes, but I'm also working in a field placement at Family Services of Westchester (FSW), a large mental health organization. FSW runs 55 programs and serves about 30,000 individuals annually (including children, teenagers, adults, couples, and families) throughout Westchester county. 

I can honestly say I'm loving this internship! Everyone has been so wonderful and welcoming, especially my supervisor. I've been working at "Head Start", a federal program designed to give children (ages 3-5) from low-income families a positive beginning to their education. More than that, we aim to impact every aspect of a child's life, providing mental health services, nutritional counseling, parenting skills classes, etc. At Head Start, parents are treated as partners in their child's education and are included every step of the way. 

I spend the majority of my time split between various Head Start classrooms. I consult with teachers and families about specific students who might be exhibiting problem behaviors (aggression, constant tearfulness, isolation, etc). I've already had the unique opportunity to utilize play therapy, art therapy, and movement therapy with many of these children. It has given me incredible insight into their little worlds. 

I'm now also working as a clinical therapist in one of FSW's outpatient mental health clinics. I've been assigned my own cases, and it's incredibly exciting! Naturally I question my skills and wonder if I'll make a difference, but everyone does (even professionals who have been in the field for decades). It's amazing to finally use what I've been learning these past several years to help people. I guess I'm really becoming a social worker, huh? 

Love,
Maya

6 comments:

  1. you will make one awesome social worker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that this all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful to read how happy you are...your enjoyment shines through your words. And they are lucky to have someone as dedicated and so enjoying of this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy and excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic news! Congratulations, and continued success to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, wow! Life sounds pretty great for you. Keep up the good work. I'm the kids love you and you are making a meaningful impact on their lives.

    ReplyDelete