Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Awesome Things in Life

1000 Awesome Things is a blog that I dare you not to smile at. Its mission is to highlight the awesome things in life (and not the normal things like raindrops on roses.) This guy is brilliant and reading the daily post is a great way to start the day. Some examples? "Picking up a Q and a U at the same time in Scrabble", "The Kids Table", "Locking people out of the car and pretending to drive away" (Ah, yes, never gets old), "Bakery Air", "Spending all your money on Candy," "When your windshield wipers match the beat of the song you’re listening to", "Giant morning stretches accompanied by stupid noises" (I can relate. Fact: I always make a small dragon noise), "Junk Drawers, "When your pet notices you’re in a bad mood and comes to see you", "That one person who laughs when you tell a really bad joke, "High fiving babies", etc. How can you not want to read on after this list?

I think the message of this blog is particularly poignant for those living with chronic illness. Speaking from personal experience, being in chronic pain is not awesome, being unable to do the things you might plan for isn't awesome, and being reminded of it all with every step or breath isn't either. So even more than the average person, I find it's important to fill my life with these simple joys. Believe me, I'm not saying it's always easy or feasible to do this. I know there are many days when symptoms or side effects make it nearly impossible and that's okay too. After all, wouldn't it be exhausting to feel the pressure of being optimistic all the time? So no, I'm not promoting constant optimism. I just think it's important to start noticing the tiny, awesome moments whenever possible.

I think one of the best parts of "1,000 Awesome Things" was reading the author's reason for starting his project: "I did this as my life was falling apart. My best friend took his own life and my wife and I went different ways. We sold our house, I moved to a tiny apartment, and I tried to get things back on track by talking about one simple, universal little joy every single day — like snow days, bakery air, or popping bubble wrap."

I think that says it all, really. There are points in life when all we can do is take these tiny steps, go through the motions, and take it one day at a time. No matter how bad things seem, there is a way to get back on track and, in this case, he got there one awesome thing at a time. This blog was a big, important reminder for me. When I really sit down to think about it, the only way I survive and remain emotionally healthy is to look for little, awesome things like this and the one thing I'd like to add on to his message is never be afraid to point them out to others (no matter what kind of looks you might get). There is joy in noticing awesome things, but there is a different kind of joy in sharing them.


So check out this blog and, if you're as impressed as I am, there is even a book you can purchase. Be on the lookout for awesome because it's all around us. If the mood strikes you, dear readers, please let me know what those things are. I'd love to hear what you find !

Love,
Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment