Monday, April 25, 2011

Finals Period... And Life Is Good?

I'm in the midst of [the dreaded] finals period at Columbia and, during the past week, I've written close to 60 pages! Before this coming Thursday, I'll have given a presentation, taken a final exam and handed in three 20 page papers. Needless to say, my free time has been spent doing little else besides eating, sleeping, and bathing. Ordinarily my body intensely objects to this kind of treatment: the odd hours, the decrease in movement and sleep, the high levels of stress, the energy drinks, etc. To top it off, there has been rain nearly every day in New York City which is akin to kryptonite for people with rheumatic conditions. It's safe to say that my self-care is at a low right now, but surprisingly I'm doing fine!

I'm so glad that I received my Orencia infusion last week. While I experienced the usual pain and fatigue the day after, I truly believe it's now propelling me through these tough days. I'm beyond grateful for this relief; for each deep breath that I can take; for my increase in energy and my ability to keep up. While it may not not be this good forever, I have my life back right now and all is right with the world. Once I'm out for summer break and start treating my Fibromyalgia pain, it's exciting to think I may feel even better!

Thank you for sharing in my journey and for the constant encouragement and well-wishes. I hope you're all feeling well too and, as a thank you for being loyal readers, I have some pretty awesome giveaways lined up for the next few months. Also, don't forget about the giveaway that's currently going on: You could win a gorgeous print of your choice by the talented photographer (and my friend) Jodi McKee! Entries will be accepted until 11:59 pm EST on May 2nd. Good luck!

Love,
Maya

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are doing better. I remember dealing with my Crohn's Disease in graduate school. Tough days, but I survived :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya,

    You are amazing! I cannot express to you how you amazed me in class yesterday. Finals is tough for any student right now but you pulling through while your body copes with your treatment is real strength. "Strength" that is the one word that I could think of while sitting next to you. You have no idea how your strength motivates me. Keep going strong! You will move mountains! (as cliche as that may sound- I truly believe it).

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, HealingWell...glad to know you survived :)

    Claudia: Your comment honestly means the world to me. Your presence and support yesterday is what helped me get through. I will save this comment as a reminder when things get hard.... love you right back

    ReplyDelete