Friday, June 4, 2010

Chronic Babe


So I'm a "chronic babe" - a title that makes me smile and feel proud at the same (which is precisely the point). It was coined on one of my favorite websites, Chronicbabe.com. Jenni, a wonderful "chronic babe" herself has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Asthma among other conditions. Instead of dwelling on this reality, she has found a way to transform her thinking and and the thinking of anyone who visits her awesome site. She writes:
"One of my biggest frustrations has been the frequent disbelief I encounter when I explain my condition to people. "You're way too young to feel that way!" is a common refrain. "But you look fine," is another. My favorite has to be, "I'm so sorry. That is so sad." Raise your hand if you've heard this before. Maddening, isn't it? Yes, I am young. Yes, I look fine. And yes, it is sad. But as time passes, I choose more often to focus on the positive: I am creative, and I have choices. And even when I'm cramping and blubbering and whining, I'm still a hottie."

I admire Jenni's strength, humor, and positive outlook in the face of illness. I can definitely say that she makes all of us babes better by just being there. She also organizes a "Blog Carnival" - a "biweekly collection of some of the best women health & medicine bloggers around." Each carnival focuses on a specific topic relating to chronic illness and each post offers a new perspective, be it hilarious, moving or anything else under the moon. If you're interested in submitting a blog entry for consideration, write to jenni@chronicbabe.com. The carnival goes live every other Tuesday and the post should be sent by midnight on the Sunday before including your name, the title of your blog, the title of your post, and 1-2 sentences about its relevance.

The topic of the last blog carnival was "Favorite Tips, Tools and Tricks", so click here to see the awesome entries. I felt proud that my post, "The Most Natural Medicine", was included under the header "When all else fails, there's humor".

Oh, and along with maaaany other fantastic resources Jenni has on her site - anything from information for family and friends to fashion sites for chronic babes - I found these hilarious T-shirts about arthritis (along with many other conditions): Med-Tees. My personal favorite is the "Snap, Crackle and Pop" T-shirt. Thanks for all you do Jenni! :)

Love,
Maya

4 comments:

  1. hey you! so sweet to be profiled on a blog i love. :) i think the work we do really dovetails - so many women are trying to have awesome lives that include the sexing. excellent! and...my BFF natalie, pictured above, will be pleased to know her photo is still being circulated. she looks great in one of our chronicbabe t-shirts, yes? if you want one, maya, just let me know and it's yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha whoops! I definitely thought that was you! I hope Natalie wont mind if I replace the pic, although I'm sure she's wonderful too. I just want to highlight you in this one :)

    And I would totally love a t-shirt, you chronic hottie. THANK YOU! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. both of you give me such strength and hope. you write, what i have yet to be able to articulate. i have yet to tell the majority of my friends and family of my diagnosis because i am still searching for the answers to questions i know they will ask. awareness is key and i am glad you have the inner strenth to share your chronic hottiness with me.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thanks so much for your comment. It makes me feel wonderful (and motivated) to know that my words can help in any way. Please know what an inspiration you are to me too living with illness while also being the amazing mom you are

    xoxo
    Maya

    ReplyDelete