Friday, October 29, 2010

Katie's Run For Make-A-Wish

[Again, I want to apologize for the lack of writing lately. It means more than I can say that so many of you have noticed my absence and have sent messages of support and hope. I've just been sorting through more than I quite know how to handle, but as soon as things settle a bit, I'll be back. I promise.]


I did want to share a great cause with you today, though! After seeing what compassionate readers I have (yep, you guys are pretty much the best), John's cousin Katie asked if I would post about the marathon she's running this weekend to support the Make-A-Wish Foundation.  As Katie mentions in her letter below,  Make-A-Wish personally touched us all in 2008 when they enabled John's sister Laura to meet all of the New York Giants! (although I think the Giants were the lucky ones). It was a wonderful day.


Even if you aren't in the position to support Katie's run monetarily, I'm sure she'd love messages of support, so comment away! Thanks for reading and I'm wishing you all health and happiness every day.





Hi Friends, 


On Halloween this year, in lieu of dressing up in a costume, causing trouble, or many other activities, I will be running 26.2 miles in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C.  This year, I am running for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, a cause I have supported in the past.  As you probably know, the Make-A-Wish Foundation grants wishes for children who have life-threatening illnesses - giving many children, who often spend more time in the hospital with doctors and nurses than most people will in a lifetime, the opportunity to forget about being sick and just be a kid.  A family trip to Disney World, a special ballet class with the New York City Ballet, meeting a favorite sports team and/or player, even wishing for a pirate ship playhouse; if a kid wishes for it, the Make-A-Wish Foundation does everything  in their power to make it happen.  I have seen the magic of the Make-A-Wish Foundation first-hand, as I have a cousin who got a wish granted to go the American Girl doll factory in Chicago years ago, and her sister received a wish a few years ago, by meeting the New York Giants on the field, and attending a game as their guest.  

Since 1980 the Make-A-Wish Foundation has been able to grant wishes to over 193,000 children all over the world.  The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a great cause and is only able to continue to make wishes come true for children through donations.  Please join me in helping more wishes come true with your donation.

You can learn more about the Foundation here  or make a donation on my fundraising web page.

Thank you for reading and for your support!
-Katie


 


Good luck, Katie! We'll be cheering you on

Love,
Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment